Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Spaghetti Squash

I had always been disappointed by spaghetti squash. It sounds so delicious: a winter squash – which I love – that when cooked looks like spaghetti – which I also love. Yet every time I had made spaghetti squash, I had been dissatisfied. I’ve looked in trusted cookbooks, searched cooking websites, tried many different recipes, but to no avail.

Until I developed this recipe.

There are a myriad of different cooking methods suggested in recipes, using the microwave, roasting it whole (being sure to poke the squash with a fork or a skewer so it doesn’t explode), and more.

This is it: the best spaghetti squash recipe I’ve encountered, and it happens to be one I developed myself! This recipe is based on how I cook other forms of winter squash. Not only does this taste better than the other methods I’ve tried, there’s also no danger of a squash explosion!

Serves 4

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 large (or 2 small) spaghetti squash

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Carefully split the squash in half vertically. (I find it helpful to first puncture the squash with the tip of a chef’s knife, and then slowly press down on the knife to open the squash.) Scoop out the seeds and fibers surrounding the seeds and discard.

Place the squash, cut-side down, on the baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, until the inside flesh can be easily pierced by a sharp knife.

Let the squash cool for a few minutes till you are able to handle it.

Use a fork to scrape the flesh of the squash, shredding it into spaghetti-like strands.

Serve hot, topped with either of the options below.

Topping: Option 1
½ to 1 cup of prepared tomato sauce (either your own leftover from another use, or from a jar)

Topping: Option 2
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment