Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Update on Challenging Week

In a recent post, I mentioned that this week is very challenging, with Little League games, meetings, and late afternoon doctor's appointments. Then on Monday we found that this already full week became even more challenging with an additional baseball practice tonight! How would I get dinner on the table in time, not just so we could eat, but also we could celebrate with meals nourishing both body and soul?

So far this week:

Monday -- For dinner before a Little League game we had sliders (get the baseball reference? Much cooler than calling them mini-hamburgers), carrot salad and oven-roasted potatoes. (Recipes for all three dishes can be found in earlier posts). To get dinner on the table quickly, I made the carrot salad and the slider patties ahead of time and set the oven to turn on automatically so it was at temperature when I was ready to put in the potatoes. We ate a delicious dinner and made it to the 6 p.m. game on time!

Tuesday -- For dinner before I had an evening meeting out of town, we had chicken salad with apples (the recipe can be found in an earlier post). I roasted the chicken a couple days ago, then earlier in the day I took the chicken off the bone and cut it into bite-sized pieces. I also made the dressing and added it to the chicken. Right before dinner, I chopped the apple and added it to the chicken salad. I served it on a bed of lettuce. We ate a satisfying dinner and I got out the door by 6 p.m. to get to my meeting on time!

Today (Wednesday) -- I have a dinner meeting. Peter has baseball practice. Kathleen has a meeting at 7 p.m. But what about dinner? Well, tonight Peter and Kathleen will have to celebrate without me by dining at Peter's favorite Chinese restaurant. His favorite dish there is chicken with broccoli (he really likes the broccoli!). This is a special treat, plus another opportunity for Peter to learn proper "dining out" behavior. The best way to learn is to do it! Kathleen will then take Peter to practice and I will leave my meeting early so Kathleen can get where she needs to go on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment