Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Making Meals Social Idea -- Weekly Potluck

We human beings are social. We benefit from sharing meals with other people. Yet when you live alone, having social meals can be a challenge.

After I graduated from college, I moved across the country for a new job. I did not know even one person within hundreds of miles of my new home. My co-workers were friendly, and I often ate lunch with people from the office. But most meals I ate alone.

I found a church home, and in a few weeks, some people from church invited me to a Bible study and potluck dinner. Once a week, several of us got together to eat, to study scripture, and to get to know each other. The group was diverse: while I was the youngest at 21, the oldest was more than 50 years my senior. In a sense, it was a singles potluck. Several of us had never been married. Some were divorced, separated or widowed. And some were married, but their spouses were not at all interested in any church activities, so they came alone.

These dinners became a highlight of my week. I enjoyed the opportunity to dig into scripture, the variety of food (most of it delicious), the challenge of figuring out what I could bring to share, and the connection with other people. We never assigned who would bring what dish, yet we always enjoyed a feast. The weekly potluck was a true celebration.

If you're looking for ideas to bring to a potluck, check out older posts, and look for future posts. Many of the recipes can easily be doubled and be perfect to share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment