Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Boneless Honey Pork Chops

My father-in-law used to hate pork chops. Apparently his mother -- and many in her generation -- were so afraid of disease from pork, that she overcooked it, rendering it tough. Because of his past dislike of eating shoe leather disguised as pork chops, my father-in-law used to avoid them.

I didn't realize his dislike of pork chops, until I was preparing it for dinner one night. Kathleen informed me, "I should have told you, but my Dad doesn't like pork chops."

Or not. It turns out, he really does like pork chops that are cooked the right way. Or should I say, any number of right ways. The key is, don't overcook them. The interior should be slightly pink; that way, the chops will be juicy and succulent.

This recipe for Boneless Honey Pork Chops is a great main dish when you have a side dish or two that needs last minute preparation. After all, once in the oven, these chops take care of themselves.

Serves 4

Pre-heat oven to 325.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 boneless thick-cut pork chops
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs

Place a wire rack in a baking sheet. Brush the rack with oil; set aside.

Slather all side of the pork chops with honey (I find it easier to put the honey in a pie plate first, and then dip the chops in one at a time). Then coat the chops with breadcrumbs (again, I find it easier to put the breadcrumbs on a plate and dip the honey-coated chops in the breadcrumbs).

Place the chops on the rack; this will ensure that all sides of the pork cook evenly and that the bottom does not become soggy.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until slightly pink in the middle of the thickest chop.

No comments:

Post a Comment