Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tonight's Experiment: Definitely Not a Celebrate Every Day Recipe!

It's summer, and tomatoes are finally coming on strong. In fact, we have an over-supply of tomatoes. "Perfect," I thought, "I'll make tomato sauce from scratch."

If you've been reading this blog for a while, you already know that I don't use any of the commercially produced spaghetti sauces for sale in the supermarket. I always, always, always, make my own sauce. But I don't start with tomatoes. Instead, I start with canned tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic and herbs. Not only can I make this sauce year-round, it also tastes great.

Yet I've wondered: would the sauce taste even better if I started with freshly picked tomatoes? A lot of freshly picked tomatoes? More than six pounds of freshly picked tomatoes? Would it be worth all the time and the effort?

We'll soon find out. What I do know, is that so far this has taken a lot of time, and I mean a lot of time. With all the chopping, stirring, heating, draining, stirring, heating, food-milling (is that a word? food-milling: to put something through a food mill), then more stirring and heating, I've already invested more than 3 1/2 hours, and there's probably another 1/2 hour to go.

What I've tasted so far is not bad, but we'll see what the end result is. I'd be surprised if it's better than my old stand-by. And so far, it sure doesn't seem worth the time and effort.

Of course, this is definitely not a Celebrate Every Day recipe. Celebrate Every Day recipes not only nourish body and soul, they're also simple. And believe me, this is not simple! And so far I've given Kathleen a lot of work to do when she does the dishes after dinner -- knives, cutting board, pots, spoons, food mill, bowls, etc.

Check in later and see the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment