Thursday, June 18, 2009

Best-ever Hamburgers and Grilled Zucchini

Today I'm serving up the first of what I hope to be several recipes that will help you Celebrate Every Day.

Give these hamburgers and zucchini a try. Let me know what you think. Are the recipes clear? Any changes or modifications you'd make? I'd love to hear from you.

Best-Ever Hamburgers

I always assumed that the best hamburgers were made from 100% pure beef. Boy, was I wrong.

When my wife and I were dating, she made the best hamburgers I had ever eaten. I wondered: what was the secret? The secret is, these hamburgers have more in common with grilled mini-meatloaf than what you can order at a fast food burger joint. I’ve modified Kathleen’s original recipe, but the concept is hers.

Try it yourself. You might get hooked and leave fast food behind.

1 egg
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 pound ground beef
¼ cup bread crumbs
4 hamburger buns or small Kaiser rolls

In a large bowl, mix the egg and Worcestershire sauce. Add the ground beef and bread crumbs. Mix together using your hands. Mix thoroughly, but try not to compact the meat mixture. Form four patties. Grill over medium coals (you can also use a grill pan to cook these inside), 4 to 5 minutes on each side.

Serve each hamburger on a bun or Kaiser roll.

A great accompaniment to these satisfying hamburgers is:

Grilled Zucchini

Wondering what to do with all the zucchini from your garden, or with all the zucchini your neighbors has given your from their garden? This is one of my favorite ways to prepare and eat zucchini.

If you are serving this zucchini with meat that has been grilled, you can place the zucchini slices on the grill after you have removed the meat. The meat can rest while the zucchini cooks.

3 or 4 medium zucchini
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper

Cut the zucchini lengthwise into ¼-inch thick slices. Brush one side of zucchini with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Place oiled- and seasoned-side down and grill over medium coals (you can use a grill pan to cook these inside). When you put the zucchini slices on the grill, brush the other side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill 2 to 3 minutes on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment