Thursday, June 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

A great tradition I have experienced when dining with different friends is to give thanks to God. Each person around the table has the opportunity to say one thing for which he or she is thankful. The times I participated in this thanksgiving ritual were not holidays. These families give thanks to God every day. This ritual is part of their family meal routine.

Recently, we decided to incorporate this ritual of thanks into our daily routine. One morning, I told Peter, our 5-year-old son, “Tonight when we sit down for dinner, we are going to do something different. Before we pray, we are each going to give thanks to God for something. So be thinking today what you are thankful for.”

That evening, we each gave thanks to God for at least one thing. Peter gave thanks for several: Mommy, Daddy and Scooter, our dog. The next night, Peter also included a number of his friends, his grandparents, his teachers, and more. He was so thankful, that Kathleen and I wondered if we would ever eat! We then decided that we would each have the opportunity to thank God for at least one, but no more than three, things.

What I have discovered is that when I know that I will be giving thanks to God before dinner, I am more observant during the day: How is God blessing me? And what opportunities to I have to be a blessing for others?

No comments:

Post a Comment